Traveling abroad for the summer holidays is an exciting experience that can broaden one’s horizons, expose one to different cultures, and create unforgettable memories. However, before embarking on this adventure, it is essential to plan and prepare adequately, including figuring out how to manage finances while traveling. One important consideration is choosing credit cards that offer low forex markup fees, as this can save travelers significant amounts of money on international transactions.
What Exactly Are Forex Markup Fees?
There are many credit cards on the market, but not all are created equal. When it comes to traveling abroad, it is crucial to look for credit cards that offer low forex markup fees. Forex markup fees refer to the fees charged by credit card companies for converting foreign currencies into the cardholder’s local currency. These fees can add up quickly and can significantly impact one’s travel budget. Thus, choosing a credit card with low forex markup fees can save travelers a lot of money.
Five Credit Cards With Minimal Foreign Exchange Markups:
Here are five credit cards with low forex markup fees that travelers can consider when planning their summer holiday:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card:
This credit card offers a 2.50% forex markup fee, making it an excellent option for international travelers. In addition to the low markup fees, cardholders earn points on all purchases, which can be redeemed for travel-related expenses.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card:
This credit card has a 0% forex markup fee, which means travelers can make purchases abroad without incurring any additional fees. Additionally, cardholders earn miles on all purchases, which can be redeemed for travel-related expenses, such as flights and hotel stays.
Discover it Miles:
This credit card has a 0% forex markup fee and offers cashback on all purchases. Cardholders can earn 1.5% cashback on all purchases, which can redeem for statement credits or deposited into their bank account.
Bank of America Travel Rewards Credit Cards:
This credit card has a 0% forex markup fee and offers reward points on all purchases. Cardholders can earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent, which can redeem for travel-related expenses, such as flights, hotel stays, and rental cars.
American Express Platinum Cards:
This credit card has a 2.70% forex markup fee, which is slightly higher than some of the other cards. However, it offers many travel-related perks, such as airport lounge access, airline fee credits, and travel insurance. These perks can help offset the higher forex markup fee, making it a good option for frequent travelers.
When choosing a credit card for international travel, it is essential to consider other factors besides forex markup fees. For example, some credit cards offer travel insurance, which can provide peace of mind when traveling abroad. Others offer airport lounge access, which can make layovers more comfortable. Additionally, it is crucial to read the card’s terms and conditions carefully to understand any fees, rewards programs, and limitations.
Fraud And Theft Protection Travel with credit cards:
While credit cards can be a convenient and secure way to manage money when traveling abroad, it is essential to take precautions to protect oneself from fraud and theft. Some tips for using credit cards while traveling include:
- Notify the credit card company of travel plans: Before leaving for a trip, it is a good idea to notify the credit card company of travel plans. This can help prevent the card from being declined due to suspicious activity.
- Use ATMs in safe locations: When withdrawing cash from an ATM, it is essential to choose a safe and well-lit location. Additionally, it is best to use ATMs affiliated with reputable banks to avoid skimming devices.
- Keep a record of credit card transactions: Keeping a record of credit card transactions can help identify any fraudulent activity quickly. Additionally, it can be useful for budget
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi for credit card transactions: Public Wi-Fi networks can be vulnerable to hacking and identity theft. It is best to avoid using public Wi-Fi for credit card transactions, especially when entering sensitive information.
- Keep credit cards and cash secure: It is important to keep credit cards and cash secure while traveling. This can include using a money belt or wallet that can be worn close to the body and keeping credit cards and cash in a secure location.
- Monitor credit card statements: It is a good idea to monitor credit card statements regularly for any unauthorized charges or suspicious activity. Many credit card companies offer alerts for unusual activity, which can be set up through their mobile app or website.
In conclusion, traveling abroad for the summer holidays is an exciting and enriching experience that can make more affordable by choosing the right credit card. By selecting a credit card with low forex markup fees, travelers can save money on international transactions. However, it is essential to consider other factors, such as rewards programs, travel insurance, and fees, before choosing a credit card for international travel. Additionally, taking precautions to protect oneself from fraud and theft can help ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. With the right credit card and precautions in place, travelers can embark on an unforgettable summer holiday abroad.
If you like this article then you can also read the next one10 Car Insurance Cost-Cutting Tips